Marriage and Family Therapy/Social Work/ Clinical Counseling
& Psychology Internships
Children and Family In-Home Mental Health Services (CTSS)
We provide In-home mental health services to children and their families. We use a systems approach and believe the participation of family in the process will produce the greatest chance for success. Our staff meets with the child and/or family, where the primary client is the child/adolescent with a mental health diagnosis, at least two times per week for extended hours. We are available to meet with families in their homes, the child’s school, daycare or another appropriate community location. The CTSS Intern will provide individual and family skills to improve the child’s functioning across settings including parenting and family skills to aid the child in this process.
Adult Rehabilitative Mental Health Services (ARMHS)
The purpose of ARMHS is to help adult (ages 18+) individuals who have a mental illness function independently in their homes or places of residence. Services are provided in three areas: Basic Living and Social Skills, Community Intervention, and Medication Education. Interaction with family, caregivers, health care providers, and other support systems is a key role ARMHS practitioners play to maintain the client’s continuity of care. The ARMHS Intern works to help the client gain skills that improve their mental health functioning, work towards an overall recovery goal and help to reduce mental health relapses.
Interns will gain the knowledge to integrate:
Ability to build rapport and join with a client
Ability to maintain rehabilitative function for their clients
Knowledge of working with a multi-disciplinary team
Exposure to working in a multi-program agency
We accept Masters level interns working on their degree in:
-Social Work (2nd year)
-Marriage and Family Therapy
Each year we have available slots for interns in our community based programs at all of our locations.
- Our intern program starts in the fall and it is a one year commitment
- We begin taking applications in the early part of the year.
- We conduct interviews in the early months as most students need to secure their site by early spring
- We take approximately 15 interns a year.
- We will continue to interview until our slots are filled.
We are currently accepting resumes. Please send to: Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. Brighton Professional Building, Attn: Human Resources, 1900 Silver Lake Road, Suite 110, New Brighton, MN 55112 or e-mail: email@example.com
Below is some brief information regarding the internships:
-Each intern will begin by shadowing our practitioners in the community.
- Each intern will receive an appropriate case load of clients to serve.
- Interns work under the supervision of a licensed professional and will receive supervision, both individual and group.
- Each intern will have opportunities to observe clinical work in other divisions of our agency such as: Psychological Testing, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Psychiatry/Medication Management, Chemical Dependency Treatment, and Adult Day Treatment.
- Interns go through our program in a cohort and will have a monthly cohort meeting with opportunities to hear from interns in other divisions as well as listen to additional training topics.
Adult Mental Health Day Treatment Internships
Group Therapist Internship
Adult Mental Health Day Treatment (Outpatient)
We are currently accepting resumes to co-facilitate our Adult Day Treatment group at our New Brighton, MN location only. Please send resumes to: Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. Brighton Professional Building, Attn: Human Resources, 1900 Silver Lake Road, Suite 110, New Brighton, MN 55112 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Applications for a school year commitment or a summer commitment are both accepted.
• We are seeking a Master’s level intern working on their degree in:
- Social Work (2nd year)
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Counseling Psychology
• Interns can expect to co-lead intensive therapy groups for adults with mental illness, serving a wide range of skills and abilities. Individual and/or crisis intervention can also be expected.
• Please see the link on our web site for a brief description of Adult Day Treatment.
APPIC-Approved Doctorate Level Psychological Testing Internships
The doctorate internship experience provided through Nystrom & Associates, Ltd., (NAL) is APPIC Approved and consists of a one year commitment of conducting psychological evaluations and implementing assessment tools provided by NAL.
Interns will conduct the following:
Administer a variety of psychological tests and utilize these materials to:
clarify a diagnosis
share evaluation results with clients
provide a written report explaining results, diagnosis, and recommendations
consult with staff and therapists
Participate in clinical meetings and trainings
Observe other service areas provided by NAL
Consult with insurance companies and learn the process for obtaining authorizations, and learn about the billing process
Create and co-facilitate therapeutic groups
The internship experience will consist of the following:
2,000 hours of clinical and didactic training in 12 months
100 hours of didactic training, consisting of on-site workshops, presentations by staff or outside presenters, discussion of readings, case consultations, group supervision, and presentations by the interns
Two hours of individual supervision with two licensed doctoral level psychologist
NAL is seeking interns that would work in our Apple Valley, MN, Baxter, MN, Duluth, MN, Eden Prairie, MN, New Brighton, MN, and Otsego, MN offices. The intern applicant should have experience with children, adolescents, and adults. The intern applicant should also have training and experience with a variety of psychological tests, as well as with conducting diagnostic interviews. A stipend will be provided. Please apply through the APPIC Match Program (www.natmatch.com/psychint/). If you have any questions, you may email or call Heather Bodurtha at 651-628-9566 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
NAL is currently accepting resumes for internships in our billing office. Internship lengths will vary depending on the schools programming. This is an unpaid position. NAL will work with each individual school to ensure requirements per their program are being met.
Interns will conduct the following:
Post electronic/check payments to patient accounts
Interact with patients regarding their accounts
Help resolve discrepancies
Resolving unpaid claims
Verify Patient’s Benefits & Eligibility
Obtaining authorizations for services on patient’s behalf
Please send resumes to: Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. Brighton Professional Building, Attn: Human Resources, 1900 Silver Lake Road, Suite 110, New Brighton, MN 55112 or e-mail: email@example.com