Early Childhood Therapy Internship
The Early Childhood Therapy program provides in-home mental health services to children diagnosed with mental illness/emotional disturbances ages 2-6 years old and their families. We use a systems approach as the participation of the family in the process will produce the greatest chance for success. Our staff meets with the child and/or family at least two times per week for extended hours. We are available to meet with families in their homes, the child’s school, daycare, or another appropriate community location.
Children and their families (ages: 2-6) diagnosed with mental illness/emotional disturbance affecting two or more of the following areas: home, school, and community.
This internship focuses heavily on child development. Interns will receive DC 0-5 Training.
Internship Training Goals:
Design and implement treatment/intervention in-home reflective of client needs. Heavily focused on child development. Conduct diagnostic assessments with supervision. Maintain legible and organized patient electronic health records in accordance with the policy of the company and requirements of the State of Minnesota.
Length of internship and requirements:
Length and weekly schedule requirements: We require at least a 9-month commitment of 15-20 hours per week (600-700 hours total).
- Typically more afternoon/evening hours as children/parents are more available “after school.”
- Attend the monthly Internship Cohort Meeting from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm on the third Tuesday of each month
- Attend 1 monthly staff meeting on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 9 am-11 am
- Attend weekly supervision session with assigned supervisor, who is a licensed clinical mental health professional
- Attend initial six-day training at the Arden Hills office at the commencement of the internship and 5 sessions of follow up training that will occur on Friday’s from 8 am-10 am following the training
- Attend three one-hour long video Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) each month at Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.
- Attending ECT Team Meeting on the 4th Thursday of the month from 9AM-11AM
- Educational degree: students must be pursuing a master’s degree and able to be supervised by a LMFT (students who will be pursue LPCC or LMFT are encouraged to apply). At this time, we are not able to provide MSW supervision in this internship.
- Prior experience in the mental health field, whether prior practicum, professional, or life experience.
- Common examples: Prior work experience as an Independent Living Skills Worker, experience working on an inpatient mental health ward, residential experience.
- Would need to have previous experience working with children and families in some capacity.
Locations of Internship:
This internship is located out of our Coon Rapids, MN site – but interns could work with clients in any of the 7 twin cities metro counties.
- We accept applications throughout the entire year on an ongoing basis. We are not able to guarantee every internship at every Nystrom site.
- To apply to our clinical internships/practicum placements, please go to our employment opportunities page and apply to the listed “Internship Application” role.
- If you have questions prior to applying, please direct them to email@example.com.