Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.’s (NAL) Substance Use Disorder Internship program is designed for candidates seeking to gain experience toward obtaining licensure as an alcohol and drug counselor as well as candidates who may be licensed in another field of behavioral studies working to obtain an alcohol and drug counselor license. These internships are unpaid.
Patients served: NAL offers intensive outpatient Co-Occurring Substance Use Disorder programs at various levels for both adults and adolescents (age 13-18) at each of our locations.
Internship training goals:
- Interns can expect to receive experience in all “12 Core Functions” during their practicum experience.
- Interns will begin with training and observation their first 2 weeks at NAL.
- Interns will carry a small caseload of clients.
- Interns will create and present psycho-educational lectures in process groups.
- Interns will co-facilitate process groups with their assigned LADC/supervisor.
- Interns will become familiar with documentation standards on Allscripts Electronic Health Record software.
- Interns will attend weekly case reviews with staff to discuss client cases.
- Interns will attend twice-monthly Rule 29 site-specific multidisciplinary staff meeting/training as well as an intern cohort meeting once a month.
Length of internship and requirements: We offer two internship lengths based on each individual student’s internship requirement through their educational program. These include either:
- 440-hour Internship – 40 hours per week for 11 weeks
- 880 hours Internship – 40 hours per week for 22 weeks
- Intern’s schedule will be dependent on their internship needs. NAL offers evening and day schedules as available. The intern’s schedule will be built to include group and individual sessions.
- Adult Group Schedule- M,W, Th from 9am-12pm or 6pm-9pm
- Adolescent Group Schedule- M,W, Th 4pm-6pm
- Attend the monthly Internship Cohort Meeting from 12:00pm-1: 30 pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Attend three one-hour long video Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) each month at Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.
We will work with each intern and their educational program to create a distinct learning plan to follow throughout their internship. Educational degree: students must be pursuing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.
Locations of Internship: All Minnesota locations accept interns in Substance Use Disorder programming.
- We accept applications throughout the entire year on an ongoing basis.
- To apply: submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Specify in your cover letter which internship program you are applying to, when you would like your internship to begin and which Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. locations you would be interested in conducting your internship. Also, send your school’s specific internship requirements.