Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.’s (NAL) Substance Use Disorder Internship program is designed for candidates seeking to gain experience toward obtaining licensure as an alcohol and drug counselor and co-occurring dual-track licensure internships (LADC with LPCC/LICSW/LMFT).
Patients served: NAL offers intensive outpatient Co-Occurring Substance Use Disorder programs at various levels for both adults and adolescents (age 13-18) at each of our locations.
Alcohol and Drug Counseling Internship Training Goals (440 or 800 Hour Internship Schedule):
- Interns can expect to receive experience in all “12 Core Functions” during their practicum experience.
- Interns will begin with training and observation their first 2 weeks at NAL.
- Interns will carry a small caseload of clients.
- Interns will create and present psycho-educational lectures in process groups.
- Interns will co-facilitate process groups with their assigned LADC/supervisor.
- Interns will become familiar with documentation standards on Allscripts Electronic Health Record software.
- Interns will attend weekly case reviews with staff to discuss client cases.
- Interns will attend twice-monthly Rule 29 site-specific multidisciplinary staff meeting/training as well as an intern cohort meeting once a month.
Co-Occurring Dual-Track Internship Training Goals (Required 800 Hour Internship Schedule):
- Alcohol and Drug Counselor Internship Training Goals listed above plus the following:
- Interns will carry a small caseload of individual, family, and couples outpatient psychotherapy clients
- Weekly supervision by a Licensed Mental health Professional (LPCC, LICSW, LMFT, or LP)
Length of internship and requirements: We offer two internship lengths based on each individual student’s internship requirement through their educational program. These include either:
- 440-hour Internship
- 880 hours Internship –(required for co-occurring dual-track internship)
- Intern’s schedule will be dependent on their internship needs. (minimum of 25 hours per week). NAL offers evening and day schedules as available. The intern’s schedule will be built to include group and individual sessions.
- Adult Group Schedule- M,W, Th from 9am-12pm or 6pm-9pm
- Adolescent Group Schedule- M,W, Th 4pm-6pm
- Attend the monthly Internship Cohort Meeting from 12:00pm-1: 30 pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Attend three one-hour long video Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) each month at Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.
We will work with each intern and their educational program to create a distinct learning plan to follow throughout their internship. Educational degree: students must be pursuing am associates, bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Locations of Internship: All Minnesota locations accept interns in Substance Use Disorder programming.
- We accept applications throughout the entire year on an ongoing basis.
- To apply: submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Specify in your cover letter which internship program you are applying to, when you would like your internship to begin and which Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. locations you would be interested in conducting your internship. Also, send your school’s specific internship requirements.