Psychiatrists are physicians who specialize in the treatment of mental health conditions through mental health services. Since psychotherapy is now primarily provided by psychologists and social workers, psychiatrists have increasingly focused on the medical aspects of treating mental health conditions. This includes assessment, prescription and monitoring medications, ordering and interpreting necessary lab work and coordinating care with other physicians who may be treating a patient for other health conditions as well as coordinating care with other mental health professionals.
What We Do
NAL offers child, adolescent and adult psychiatry/medication management. Specialty areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Panic Disorders (with or without Agoraphobia)
- Mood Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Personality Disorders
- Developmental Disabilities
For more information on our programs and scheduling, please contact our coordinators.
Nystrom & Associates Prescribing Guidelines
Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. will not certify patients for medical cannabis. If you are using cannabis, certain medications will not be appropriate for you. Furthermore, if your choice to use cannabis is believed to be worsening your psychiatric condition, we may elect to end care with you. If you are interested in learning more about medical cannabis we suggest you contact your primary care clinic or your insurance provider.
- Controlled substance medications have potential for misuse. They are intended to improve function and/or ability to work, and are not simply to feel good.
- Our providers may not prescribe standing doses of benzodiazepines with stimulant medications.
- Our providers do not prescribe pain medication or medical cannabis.
- If you are taking narcotic pain medication, medical cannabis, or are abusing drugs or alcohol our providers may not prescribe controlled medications to you.
- If you are pregnant or have certain medical or psychiatric conditions, controlled medications may not be appropriate for you.
- Your medication provider may request records from other medical providers, permission to talk to family members, drug screens and other laboratory tests, psychological tests, and may review the state controlled medication profile, before starting or continuing controlled medication.
- Drug screens, laboratory test, and counts of remaining pills may be requested while you are taking controlled medications, and must be completed within 24 hours.
- Our providers must follow Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. maximum dosing guidelines for controlled medications.