Vadnais Heights School-Based Mental & Chemical Health
Vadnais Heights School-Based Mental & Chemical Health is a program in which Nystrom & Associates places clinical mental health providers at a community school to provide therapeutic services to students who have a mental health diagnosis. Therapists will collaborate with teachers, school social workers, and staff to aid the student in working towards their individual goals.
Vadnais Heights School-Based Mental & Chemical Health therapists work with all students who qualify for mental health services. They do not need to be receiving special education services or have an individualized education plan (IEP). Guardian involvement is encouraged and recommended. School-based therapy serves clients through the Children and Family Community-Based Division at Nystrom & Associates.
Benefits of School-Based Mental Health Services
- Promotes improved psycho-social health and school success in students
- Removes barriers such as transportation and scheduling difficulties, providing greater accessibility for families to receive mental health counseling
- Allows for students to work with therapists in the environment they often struggle the most; school
- Leads to increased communication between the family and school
- Students experience more academic and social support
What Can I Expect?
An Vadnais Heights School-Based Mental & Chemical Health therapist will collaborate with school social workers, teachers, and staff to aid the student in working towards their goals. Our therapists will meet with students once a week for at least 45-minute sessions. School-Based therapy is not restricted to the school only; at times therapists are able and willing to meet the student in their home to hold family therapy sessions or see the student during summer break in their home.
To read more about why mental health should be taught in school click here.