Co-Occurring Substance Use Disorder Internships
Compensation: This internship offers competitive compensation to student interns, recognizing the value of your contributions to our program and clients. Interns are paid a stipend upon obtaining set hour thresholds. This stipend does increase if you choose to complete all 880 hours within Nystrom.
Nystrom offers intensive outpatient Co-Occurring Substance Use Disorder programs at various levels for both adults and adolescents (age 13-18) at each of our locations.
Alcohol and Drug Counseling Internship Training Goals (440 or 880 Hour Internship Schedule):
- Interns can expect to receive experience in all “12 Core Functions” during their practicum experience.
- Interns will begin with training and observation their first 2 weeks at NAL.
- Interns will carry a small caseload of clients.
- Interns will create and present psycho-educational lectures in process groups.
- Interns will co-facilitate process groups with their assigned LADC/supervisor.
- Interns will become familiar with documentation standards on Allscripts Electronic Health Record software.
- Interns will attend weekly case reviews with staff to discuss client cases.
- Interns will attend twice-monthly Rule 29 site-specific multidisciplinary staff meetings/training as well as an
intern cohort meeting once a month.
Co-Occurring Dual-Track Internship Training Goals (Required 880 Hour Internship Schedule):
- Alcohol and Drug Counselor Internship Training Goals listed above plus the following:
- Interns will carry a small caseload of individual, family, and couples outpatient psychotherapy clients
- Weekly supervision by a Licensed Mental health Professional (LPCC, LICSW, LMFT, or LP)
Length of internship and requirements:
We offer two internship lengths based on each individual student’s internship requirement through their educational program. These include either:
- 440-hour Internship
- 880 hours Internship –(required for co-occurring dual-track internship)
- Intern’s schedule will be dependent on their internship needs. (minimum of 25 hours per week).
NAL offers evening and day schedules as available. The intern’s schedule will be built to include group and individual sessions.
- Adult Group Schedule- M,W, Th from 9am-12pm or 6pm-9pm
- Adolescent Group Schedule- M,W, Th 4pm-6pm
- Attend the monthly Internship Cohort Meeting from 12:00 pm-1: 30 pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Attend three one-hour long video Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) each month at Nystrom & Associates, Ltd.
We will work with each intern and their educational program to create a distinct learning plan to follow throughout their internship.
Educational degree: students must be pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.
Locations of Internship:
All Minnesota locations accept interns in Substance Use Disorder programming.
- We accept applications throughout the entire year on an ongoing basis. We are not able to guarantee every internship at every Nystrom site.
- To apply to our clinical internships/practicum placements, please go to our employment opportunities page and apply to the listed “SUD Internship Application” role.
- Please note that all internship applications list New Brighton as the location of the internship. These internship applications are designed to take applications for all applicable clinic locations. Regardless of the location you are interested in, please submit an application to the internship of interest and disregard that the location is noted as New Brighton.
- If you have questions prior to applying, please direct them to email@example.com.