Outpatient Therapy Internship
Nystrom & Associates Counseling & Therapy services are made up from a group of professional clinicians from the fields of psychology, clinical social work, marriage & family therapy, nursing, and psychiatry, who are committed to helping persons experiencing personal, emotional, marriage, family, or psychological problems.
Nystrom meets the highly rigorous requirements of quality set by the state of Minnesota as a licensed mental health clinic. The clinical staff at Nystrom are licensed professionals and/or have advanced graduate training in a mental health field. Each clinician is experienced and is committed to high standards of professional practice in counseling & therapy services.
Nystrom offers outpatient internships at many Minnesota clinic locations. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis as we are aware that graduate student program requirements and timelines vary greatly. Outpatient interns will establish a learning contract and set goals for their internship experience. Interns will receive weekly 1:1 supervision, bi-monthly case consultation group and monthly inter-disciplinary cohort meetings. Interns will spend 2-3 weeks shadowing sessions with their supervisor and other onsite clinicians – and will work with their supervisor to determine when they are ready to begin seeing clients more independently. Interns will then have the opportunity to see and maintain a small caseload of individual clients with whom they will complete comprehensive diagnostic assessments, person-centered treatment plans, clinical progress notes, utilize assessment tools and ancillary therapy notes in alignment with 245i MN state standards for documentation. Nystrom offers group hours if needed for program requirements.
The goal of the Outpatient Therapy internship program is to provide comprehensive training to help prepare students to step into Generalist Outpatient Therapy employment roles upon graduation from their program. Nystrom provides interns the opportunity to work with a diverse group of clients, but interns also have the opportunity to specialize if that is their desire.
All outpatient interns will have the opportunity to shadow in other programs (if desired) such as: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), substance use disorder (SUD), CTSS (in-home family programs), ARMHS (adult in-home program), psychiatry and psychological testing. Interns are invited to access Nystrom’s Continuing Education library as well as live trainings to further develop their therapeutic skills and knowledge.
Length of Internship & Schedule Requirements
Outpatient internships range in duration pending program requirements (typically 7-9 months). Outpatient interns are generally onsite at their assigned location for 20 hours per week, overlapping with their assigned supervisor’s schedule as much as possible. Schedules can be flexible around the below requirements and school coursework.
- Attend 3-day (M-W) New Clinician Training prior to coming onsite for internship.
- Attend weekly 1:1 supervision with assigned supervisor.
- Attend bi-monthly 1-hour group consultation.
- Attend monthly Outpatient Staff meeting.
- Attend monthly Intern Cohort meeting from 12:00pm-1:30pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Educational degree: students must be pursuing a master’s degree in either social work, counseling, marriage and family therapy, or psychology (with the eventual license of LPCC, LICSW, LMFT, or LP).
- Prior work experience and ability to demonstrate professionalism and integrity.
This internship offers competitive compensation to student interns, recognizing the value of your contributions to our program and clients. Interns are paid a monthly stipend each month that they are a student intern with Nystrom.
- We accept applications throughout the entire year on an ongoing basis. We are not able to guarantee every internship at every Nystrom site.
- To apply to our clinical internships/practicum placements, please go to our employment opportunities page and apply to the “Outpatient Therapy Internship Application” role.
- If you have questions prior to applying, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.