Psychiatry and Medication Management
Our psychiatric providers specialize in the treatment of mental health conditions through mental health services. Since psychotherapy is now primarily provided by psychologists and social workers, our psychiatric providers have increasingly focused on the medical aspects of treating mental health conditions. This includes assessment, prescribing psychiatric medications, ordering and interpreting necessary lab work, and coordinating care with other physicians who may be treating a patient for other health conditions as well as coordinating care with other medical providers.
What We Do
Nystroms offers child, adolescent, and adult psychiatry and medication management. Specialty areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
Panic Disorders (with or without Agoraphobia)
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Our psychiatric prescribers are trained in different backgrounds and all have the same capabilities to assess, diagnose, treat, and prescribe for psychiatric disorders.
Psychiatrists have gone through medical school and chosen to practice in the specialty area of psychiatry.
Medical Doctors (MD) and Doctors of Osteopathy (DO) are doctors trained with a focus on the classical form of medicine, diagnosis, and treatment of human diseases.
Physician Assistants (PA) are certified health care professionals that have completed a master’s program in the medical model.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) have completed a master’s program or doctorate in the medical model.
Requirements For Treatment
Submit Release of Information forms for any of the following applicable individuals or scenarios:
Recent psychiatric hospitalizations
Recent substance use disorder or chemical health services
Recent outpatient psychiatric services outside of Nystrom
Submit applicable guardianship or custody documents prior to your first appointment
Hours and Availability
We offer services Monday through Friday and on Saturdays at some locations, as well as evening hours Monday through Thursday.
Psychiatry & Medication Management Locations
We accept all insurances including medical assistance and other state health plans. A reduced rate for uninsured private pay patients is available.
Forms for this program can be found on our Patient Forms page by clicking here.
Nystrom & Associates Prescribing Guidelines Regarding Controlled Medications
- Controlled substance medications have the potential for misuse. They are intended to improve function and/or ability to work and are not simply to feel good.
- Our providers may not prescribe standing doses of benzodiazepines with stimulant medications.
- Our providers do not prescribe pain medication or medical cannabis.
- If you are taking narcotic pain medication, medical cannabis, or are abusing drugs or alcohol our providers may not prescribe controlled medications to you.
- If you are pregnant or have certain medical or psychiatric conditions, controlled medications may not be appropriate for you.
- Your medication provider may request records from other medical providers, permission to talk to family members, drug screens and other laboratory tests, psychological tests, and may review the state-controlled medication profile, before starting or continuing controlled medication.
- Drug screens, laboratory test, and counts of remaining pills may be requested while you are taking controlled medications, and must be completed within 24 hours.
- Our providers must follow Nystrom & Associates, Ltd. maximum dosing guidelines for controlled medications used to treat ADHD, and when prescribing anxiety. Medications such as Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, and Ativan.